Monday, August 18, 2014

[First Impression] August Glossybox

For any of you that don't know what Glossybox is; it's an online subscription service in which you get a box of cosmetics sent to you every month. I've had a Glossybox subscription since February this year and I thought that a kind of first impression-type segment would be fitting for this blog so, lets take a look a August's box !

Occasionally, the boxes will have themes, e.g; a love themed February box for Valentines day, an American themed July box for July 4th and so on. This month's box was the celebration of Glossybox's 3rd global anniversary, so I was excited to see what kind of products would be in it. Possibly I was too excited because it seems that this month kind of fell short of my expectations. 

Each box has at least five products in it; some full sized, some samples, all delivered in a cute pink box (which is sometimes redesigned for different themes). This month the regular box was changed ever so slightly shape wise and I'm not sure if its a permanent or temporary change but nonetheless, its nothing drastic. Also this month we were told that there would be a bonus sixth item in every box! 

So what did we actually get?

Highlighter Cashmere by Kryolan for Glossybox - £12.95

This is one of the products that I've had a chance to use before writing this, I only got my box today so there's products that I haven't been able to use yet. However after testing this highlighter in my makeup routine I can surely say that this is a product I'm happy to have received. It's smooth and very very light which means you can apply it over the rest of your makeup without smudging it, the glow it gives is nice and natural too. Moreover the packaging is sweet; a little square container with the Glossybox logo on it. Since the price tag is almost the cost of the whole box including shipping, it's definitely a great addition.

I Love Extreme Crazy Volume Mascara by Essence - £2.79

This is one of the few products I haven't had a chance to use and honestly, probably won't be using any time soon. As someone who has a tendency to buy products that I don't necessarily need, I've accumulated quiet a few mascaras and honestly, I don't need or want any more. So yeah, this products isn't something I would've really wanted; but as a full size mascara, for someone who doesn't already have a ridiculous amount of them, this could be a great product to receive. 


Pink Nail Polish by Yves Rocher - £3.60

At first look I honestly thought this was a sample, but no, its a full sized nail polish. A whopping 3ml of full sized nail polish. I hope you caught my sarcasm there. This is a cute product, a sweet mauve pink that applies smoothly and dries quickly. Furthermore it's apparently the 'birthday bonus product' and since it's a bonus I really feel like I shouldn't complain so I'm just going to say one thing. Three milliliters? Really ?? 

L'Amour by Lalique - £67 (full size 50ml)

This is a sample of a perfume, a sample of a particularly nice perfume at that. There's not much else I can say other than it's a nice smelling perfume and since you can expect at least one sample in every box, I'm glad they made it a perfume sample. I like perfume samples. I like this. Lets Move on.




Mini Hand Cream by Figs & Rouge - £6.95 (full size 80ml)

Fun fact about me; I really love, among many things, hand cream. I would go so far as to say that I am somewhat of a hand cream connoisseur, and my self-proclaimed-professional opinion states that this is a pretty good hand cream. It's probably one of the best I've used and even better is that it kind of smells like those fizzy candy lovehearts that say things like "I luv u" on them. Well Figs & Rouge, I luv u. 

Elasticizer by Philip Kingsley - £38 (full size 250ml)

Again this is another sample-like mini product, another sample-like mini product that I haven't had a chance to test yet. As far as I can tell it's basically a hair mask, and apparently quite a famous one since in the spoiler email Glossybox sent prior to the release of the box, they described it as a 'beauty hero'. Seeing as though this is a 40ml sample and I'm kind of bald, I'm thinking that I might be able to get two uses out of it? If I use it sparingly? If you have a luscious mane don't expect to get more than one use. Serves you right for having nice hair.




So That's this months Glossybox rounded up! If I could describe it in one word it'd probably be; Underwhelming. Don't get me wrong this is by no means a bad box, if this were a regular month's box this would be perfectly fine, but as an 'anniversary celebration'? I kind of feel like a wife that's just been given a really shit last minute anniversary present from her husband. 

Now I feel a lot less sad about cancelling my Glossybox subscription last week.


Available from glossybox.co.uk










No comments:

Post a Comment